Friday, March 28, 2014

Trying to be a movie critic, this time being Legend "Wait For It"....

Well well well, it's been a long time since I last blogged, maybe 4-5 years, and during this time, I really thought I was too busy to blog, well the fact is I was lazy. I have this interest on writing things down, but too lazy to get that into implementation. Anyway, here is another indistinct attempt for being a Blogger.

Before I go ahead , try being a movie critic and embarrass myself, I have to tell you, this passion for movies has been there for quite sometime. It started to develop more once I left my hometown for my career, and in someway or the other, it just kept the interest developing for me. Previously, I was more off a general viewer who watches the movie in a theater, very calculated with time and posts a review based on the 180 minutes spent sitting in front of the screen. Lately, i started to look deeper, looking at the technical aspects, story line, effort from every member of the movie & a lot more. Well it's a collective effort.



Finally, despite having so much of interest & craze for movies, this goes onto be my first movie of Balayya the Lion to be watched in theaters,  well, technically it would be Okka Mogadu, but I remember I got so bored & frustrated with that, I had to walk away from the movie after the 1st half (another only experience).  I don't mean to cause any insult to him, but I have never been a great fan of Balayya. Well this time, it was because of my uncle in Detroit, who prebook the tickets for a special show which was being aired. With my previous experience, I never went with high expectations, but definitely was excited a bit to watch this. The trailers seemed really good, was looking out for Jagapathy Babu, as I have a soft corner to this amazing actor.

The lights went off, the picture on the screen came on as bright as it could have and the uproar among the audience was just overwhelming. My cousin who have never been to a Tollywood premier show, just didn't know what was going on, we could hardly hear ourselves. And then, there was a glance of this star being compared to a lion, with a line saying "The Lion is Back", it got crazier with pieces of paper thrown in the air, floating between the film being reeled and the screen (A typical South Indian opening night of a movie). Just enjoyed the whole part of this, more or less a nostalgic feeling of my engineering days.

The 1st half of the movie was just an attempt to form the story before the actual twists and turns come up. The introduction was good, actors like Suman, Suhasini & younger Jagapathi babu did a good job. The movie came into it's present time, where the younger Balakrishna was sent to London, but the opening shot was taken amidst a middle eastern dessert in the city of Dubai. Sonal Chauhan (who was one among of good looking actresses in my list) is seen walking out in a bikini from the beach waters, she looks really glamorous but then again that's the only thing she did in the movie. The acting was terrible, the accent she put in didn't work out well & standing beside Balayya, the chemistry wasn't there. Bramhi sir, tried doing a good job, but the word try implies the success of comedy in the movie. It wasn't funny at all, except for few dialogues initially (which is basically the excitement picking up), a bit later it just got irritating. The interval scene for this movie would be an asset, it was very well directed with all the visual effects coming into play, showing the power of Balayya, when the villain Jagapathi Babu tries to kill his family. Speaking of Jagapathi Babu, I was really impressed by the way he looked in this movie. He definitely had the qualities which were required to be a villain, the height, the attitude, the rough (white beard) look which I loved, specially his voice. This is new side of him in the film industry, with the monotonous choice for the villain am sure this guy would be an asset for the film industry. This could be his turning point, yet again.


The 2nd half of the movie was which made it interesting to me, Balayya was shown in much different way that of the 1st half of the movie. He looked powerful, elegant and definitely the man for this role. He did have this rich look, which made him look much stronger, the light beard with a heavy mustache made him look powerful. It was more the looks, the walk, the attitude & the dialogues which spoke his character. The story moves on, it gets a bit interesting. The sentiment in the movie is good, but is kept in more than what is required. Radhika, who pairs up with Balayya in the 2nd half, had a stronger role that compared to Sonal Chauhan in the first. To my surprise the pair did look good on screen, she did a decent job with her role definitely deserves the praise for her acting. The story was just revolving around Balayya, and we go into flash back couple of times. Once out of it, it was pretty evident that the end was coming, but again it has been a tradition to add a touch of political spice to the Tollywood movies off late, specially with election around the corner. The end was dragged a bit, but a much convinced ending to the commercial entertainer of Balayya.

The movie would be a treat to Balayya fans, as he was portrayed as a very strong character in this film, the background score added a lot of value to the characters, it was well composed by Devi, on the contrary the songs were not that catchy. The screenplay is good, specially after using ultra super rich cameras, bad thing here is I could see so many flaws in the screen to screen camera work. The movie had some powerful dialogues & should agree to the fact there were some sensible scenes, which tried to tell the audience about the importance of girl child, power of social responsibility & an arguable facts about politicians. It is a good & powerful script and the best thing about this movie for me stands out, is the cast selected for the film, although it could have been a bit better, which I gave a thought during the post movie discussions.

On the whole I would say an above average Commercial Entertainer Film, not all of them would love this, most of the audience would write it off saying it's just another routine story. Too much of violence for a family based movie.  I would give 3/5 rating. Finger's crossed for Boyampati's Srinu, specially after Dhammu failing at box office. Can this be a come back movie for Srinu?

P.S. - It was not that bad to watch Balayya on screen, although I admit that I did laugh at few action scenes and the dancing :-), but it was a good attempt.

- Abhishek Sunkari.
A rookie movie critic. 


No comments: